The Marconi Society, the premier organization recognizing the achievements of living scientists in the field of communications science and the Internet, is seeking candidates for its Paul Baran Young Scholar Awards. Young Scholars are individuals who have, at an early age, already demonstrated exceptional engineering or scientific research and entrepreneurial capabilities with the potential to create significant advances telecommunications and the Internet. Winning candidates will receive a $4000 cash prize plus $1000 for expenses to attend an award ceremony October 20, 2015 in London.
How to Nominate a Candidate
The following are required qualifications:
- Candidates must be nominated by a faculty member, department chair, or manager with whom they are closely associated and who can verify relevant accomplishments and potential for future achievement. It is assumed that the nomination is confidential and was not initiated by the candidate, but by the nominator.
- In addition to the nominating letter, two other letters of recommendation must be submitted for the candidate.
- Candidates must be a student or recent graduate at the time the nomination is submitted.
- 2015 Candidates must have been born in 1987 or later, in recognition of the fact that Guglielmo Marconi was age 27 when he successfully completed the first transatlantic radio signal transmission on December 12, 1901.
- Candidates must be actively engaged in research in a field related to information and communications science, and have already made a significant contribution to one or more projects.
- Candidates must be top ranking students in their fields or programs at their academic institutions.
- Candidates should have demonstrated entrepreneurial skills via innovation and leadership in application-focused projects.
- Candidates must be able to attend the award ceremony in London. in October.
Submissions must include the following and should be submitted electonically:
- Name, contact information and academic affiliation of the candidate.
- Name and contact information for his/her academic advisor(s).
- Nomination Letter (not to exceed two typed 8-1/2'x11" pages) describing the candidate's primary focus of research and relevant achievements. You may include links to additional information if desired.
- Two letters of recommendation in addition to the letter of nomination. At least one of the three letters must be from the candidate’s academic advisor.
Please complete your nomination online
Nominations and supporting documents are due by June 30, 2015. For questions or additional information please contact:
Ms. Hatti Hamlin
The Marconi Society