Awarded the Marconi Prize in 1977
"Cited for his research in the fields of optical and microwave spectroscopy, nuclear quadruple resonance superconductivity and lasers."
Presented by: H. M. King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden, at the Ulriksdal Palace, Stockholm in 1977
1921 - Born in Mount Vernon, N.Y., and his family later moves to Toronto.
1949 - Receives a Ph.D. in physics at the University of Toronto, and becomes a research associate and fellow at Columbia University, working with Charles Townes.
1951 - Joins Bell Labs as a research physicist, and marries Aurelia Townes, sister of Charles Townes.
1955 - Co-authors the book Microwave Spectroscopy with Townes.
1957 - Begins working with Townes on the principles of a device -- the laser -- that could operate at shorter wavelengths than the maser.
1958 - Proposes with Townes in a paper published in the December Physical Review that the principles of the maser could be extended to the optical regions of the spectrum.
1960 - Receives with Townes a patent for the invention of the laser. The first working laser, at 0.69 microns in ruby, is built by Theodore Maiman at Hughes Aircraft Company. Schawlow becomes a visiting professor at Columbia University.
1961 - Joins the Physics Department at Stanford University, concentrating on molecular spectroscopy.
1966 - Becomes chairman of the Physics Department at Stanford.
1981 - Receives the Nobel Prize in Physics for his "contribution to the development of laser spectroscopy."
1998 - Joins Townes and scientists from Bell Labs and around the world to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the laser at the CLEO conference in San Francisco.
1999 - Arthur Schawlow dies at 9:30 a.m, April 28, at Stanford Hospital.
- Nobel Prize Autobiography
- Microwave Spectroscopy, by Townes, Charles H.
- X-Ray Spectroscopy: An Introduction, Vol. 15, B. K. Agarwal, K. Shimoda (Editor), T. Tamir (Editor), A. E. Siegmann (Editor), David L. MacAdam (Editor)
- Lasers, Spectroscopy, and New Ideas: A Tribute to Arthur L. Schawlow, K. Shimoda, T. Tamir (Editor), A. E. Siegman (Editor), Arthur L. Schawlow (Editor), D. L. MacAdam (Editor)
- Introduction to Laser Physics, K. Shimoda, T. Tamir (Editor), A. E. Siegman (Editor), Arthur L. Schawlow (Editor), D. L. MacAdam (Editor)
- X-Ray Microscopy Three, Arthur L. Schawlow, Alan G. Michette
- Silver-Halide Recording Materials: For Holography and Their Processing, H. I. Bjelkhagen, Arthur L. Schawlow (Editor), K. Shimoda (Editor), T. Tamir (Editor), A. L. Schawlow (Editor)
- Microwave Spectroscopy, by C. H. Townes, Arthur L. Schawlow
- Bell Labs Biography